The Amr Ibn Al-Aas Mosque (also referred to as Al-Fath) is the second mosque ever to be built in Egypt and Africa. It was constructed in 642 AD. Despite having been converted to a church twice, and rebuilt several times.
The lighthouse was built in 1938, a century after renovations occurred to the city, as an important trade center and border city. The construction site was chosen at Ras El-Bar, in a strategic area known as the Tongue of the Nile: a place where the Nile meets the Mediterranean Sea in a marvelous scenery.